Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A primer on public adjusters

An insured who has a property damage claim--such as basement flooding--may hire a public adjuster to advocate on his or her behalf with the insurer.

As defined by Massachusetts statute public adjusters may represent an insured in connection with the assessment of damages, negotiation, settlement, appraisal or reference proceedings for property damage insurance of any sort.

Public adjusters are generally not attorneys and, like other non-attorneys, may not advise or represent clients on questions of law.

Public adjusters must be licensed by the state. The contents of a contract between a public adjuster and an insured are regulated by statute.

No comments: