Saturday, December 31, 2011

Insurance for reality tv shows

I admit it. I'm a fan of reality tv. Not only that, I don't understand the disdain people hold for that genre. I don't see a bright line between "scripted" and "unscripted" shows. Plenty of so-called scripted shows feature ad libs or at least input by actors. Reality shows are plotted, just by people whose job title is producer rather than writer. I liken the process to eliciting testimony at trial. You can prep your witnesses, you can ask the right questions, but sometimes it's the unexpected answer that leads to magic (or the money shot).

Here's a great article by Emily Holbrook at Risk Management Monitor on insurance issues for reality tv. Best quote:



What types of reality shows spur the most insurance claims?

LM: Many times it’s more of the “walk and talk” shows as opposed to
those with stunts that spur the most claims. Audience members are often hurt
while being moved in and out of the auditorium.



I'm waiting for the lawsuit by the estate and family of Russell Armstrong from Real Housewives of Beverly Hills.


On a related note, here's an article on how game shows insure large prizes.

No comments: