Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Getting business from insurers

Ryan Belka, an attorney at Cooke Clancy & Gruenthal LLP, emailed this question:


I am aware that insurance companies keep lists of lawyers who handle various matters and generally allocate work accordingly. My question is: as a firm or a lawyer, how do you make it on those lists? Is there a formal application process through the general counsel of the insurance company? Do insurance companies hire boards and panels in order to allocate the work? Do you apply directly to them? Can this information be found?

That's a great question and one that I would love an answer to myself, as I am expanding my own book of business with insurers.
So, for any insurance adjusters or supervisors: How do you find outside counsel? What is the best way for an attorney to get onto your list?

And for any insurance defense attorneys: What strategies have been effective for you in obtaining new business? What have you tried that has not worked?

No comments: